Friday, September 7, 2007

Nebraska vs. Wake Forest Preview


Going into this game, the overall feel coming from pretty much every angle is that nobody has any idea what to expect. This is a game that Nebraska is favored to win by nearly every media member, yet nobody would be completely shocked to see the Huskers have a letdown game. I for one, do not expect that, but I'm just saying that's the vibe I'm getting.

First off, everyone is focusing on the fact that they threw the ball so well against Boston College last week. The two quarterbacks (Skinner and Hodges) combined to go 45 for 60, accounting for over 360 yards and two touchdowns along with 4 interceptions. And aside from the turnovers, that might seem like a pretty impressive stat line. But one has to take into account that Boston College was ranked in the middle of the country last year in pass defense, giving up an average of just over 200 yards per game. It's not like Wake was playing the Baltimore Ravens or anything like that, they were playing a halfway decent pass defense. Now, despite our struggles last year (and a few gaffes last week), I really do believe that our secondary has improved a great deal from last year. The addition of Asante, the return of Bowman, the maturation of our other guys, it all adds up to improved play (I don't sound too desperate, do I? I'm still trying to talk myself into this, its tough when they haven't faced legitimate threats yet). I think we will hold them to under 200 yards passing, with maybe one big play that results in a score.

I would comment on their rush offense against our run D, but considering they rushed for all of 2 yards net rushing. So for the sake of saving time, I'm just gonna go out and say I'm not too concerned about it.

The area where I think the Huskers have a great opportunity to beat Wake is in the passing game. The Demon Deacons allowed over 400 yards passing to oft-overrated BC quarterback Matt Ryan. If he and his group of receivers can do that, what are Keller and Co. capable of? While I believe Callahan will continue to try to establish the running game and give nothing away to USC's scouts, I also think if the opportunity to throw the ball well presents itself, Callahan will allow Keller to fire away, as this will help prepare Keller for next week's game against the Trojans.

This isn't out of the question, considering the Deacons had a pretty good rush defense last year (21st in the country, giving up 105 yards a game). Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing Carl Nicks and the rest of the hogs bulldozing them for 7 yards a pop again, but I don't think I'm along in wanting to see Keller open it up a bit.

My prediction: Nebraska 35, Wake Forest 17

No comments: