Friday, September 26, 2008

Va Tech isn't USC, But Still Important

Finally, in a week I've heard the phrase "measuring stick" way more than I care to, the game is almost here so we can see where the Huskers are really at before conference play begins. I was bullish on NU when I wrote on them a couple days ago, and I still believe we will win, but there are a few causes for concern heading into today's game.



The first area of concern is, will Ganz force any balls into what has always been an aggressive secondary and turn it over? Joe is the ultimate game manager when it comes to this offense, but he's also thrown some W-T-F was-he-thinking balls, which can cause concern when Macho Harris and company are lining up on the other side. I don't think this will be as big of an issue as some have made it out to be, mainly because I suspect our running game to continue the improvement it showed against New Mexico State. Will we get 300+? No, I wouldn't expect that against a team as well-coached as the Hokies. But I do think we will get around 200, which would enable us to open up some play-action and sprint-out for Joe.


I'm thinking Huskers win this one somewhere in the neighborhood of 31-17. Sure, the game will be overshadowed by Georgia/Alabama, but there's still a large portion of the country that will be able to watch this game, and I'm hoping we put on a show and make our first real step back towards relevance.

No comments: