Monday, January 21, 2008

All Quiet on the Mid-Western Front.....

Not a whole lot going on lately, which is the reason for no recent posts. I initially thought that I'd have a bevy of commitments to talk about after the past couple weekends, but alas, we've only had a few guys re-affirm their previous commitments. I'm really hoping that stud LB prospect Will Compton sticks with his commitment to us, but he's a Mizzou kid and it sounds like Blaine Gabbert is getting in his ear in an attempt to steal him away.

From what I've been told, it sounds like Gabbert is doing more damage than most coaches can do, which is a shame. I don't dislike the kid for reneging on his commitment and going to Mizzou, it's his right, and it sounds like his commitment was more to Callahan than Nebraska. But that doesn't mean the punk has to go and talk a bunch of our recruits out of their commitments to the Big Red. But I guess that's the way recruiting is these days, nothing is sacred. To be honest, I don't even care about the de-commits, as far as I'm concerned, if you don't want to be a part of something special like Nebraska football, you can go to Mizzou and contribute to them returning to earth (which is going to happen, maybe not this year, but in the next 2-3 years).

Right now the countdown to signing day is on, and hopefully the Huskers rally and at least pick up a few sleepers. I don't care near as much about top-10 classes anymore after watching them produce horrible results on the field the past couple of years. As long as we get kids who care about the program and who want to be coached, I'm confident that Pelini and his guys will coach them up and get them to compete. Still, my greedy side wouldn't mind seeing two or three more 4/5 star guys become Huskers......

Quick Hits-

-I hope that the proposed night spring game comes to fruition. A later start time means more beer drinking....and that's always a good thing ...It sounds like I may be headed to Lincoln for this, so I'll keep everyone posted....

-Sam Keller and other Husker seniors are participating in all-star games the next month or so.....more info on that later this week (who is in what game, when the games are on, etc.)

- Pretty disappointed that the Packers didn't make it to the Super Bowl. Part of it stems from my Brett Favre man-crush (I think about 90% of guys have one), but mostly from my desire to see Brandon Jackson make it to the Super Bowl. In case you were wondering how I determine which NFL team to support, I count the number of Huskers on each squad. Plus, I just don't like Eli and the Giants.

No comments: