Wednesday, November 28, 2007

All Hell Breaks Loose

I realize it's been a while since I've written everything, especially in light of all the developments we've seen in the past week. The Colorado beatdown, the firing of Callahan, the coaching search. I know all 7 of my devoted fans have been hanging on the edge of their seat, waiting to hear what my thoughts are on all that has happened in Husker Nation. The thing is, with every blogger, journalist, and fan talking about it, I seriously felt, what the hell am I going to add to it? I have kind of taken a let-the-dust-settle approach, fearful that anything I say will be contradicted the next day with an announcement that we've hired someone.

Perfect example: a while back, I said that the Michigan/OSU rivalry was being over-hyped because neither team had a chance at the national title. A few short weeks later, enough teams have stumbled that the Buckeyes find themselves a Missouri or West Virginia loss away from playing in their second straight national title game.

Another: In a post a while back, I said it was probably best if we didn't long for the return of Bo Pelini, because all we were doing was entertaining a fantasy that would never come to fruition. And now we find ourselves just days away from that possibly happening.

I get tired of all the speculation, the constant rumors, and the uncertainty that comes with having nobody in charge of our football team. Meanwhile, recruits are fleeing like Frenchmen in a war zone, and I'm concerned that if we don't get somebody fast, we'll be left with a marginal class. That said, we had awesome classes before, and that didn't really get us all that far. So if it takes a couple extra days to find someone who can actually develop players, I'm all for it.

I'm still firmly entrenched in the Bo Pelini camp. Some may want Gill, and I don't begrudge them for it, he is an icon to Nebraskans and has a bright future as a coach, but I just don't think he's ready for that jump, even if he does have HC experience and Pelini doesn't. I'd argue that there is more pressure being a DC at Oklahoma and LSU then there is being the head coach of Buffalo. I'm just glad that Osborne hasn't offered the job to anyone right away. When Petersen was propositioning coaches in 2003 like a stumbling drunk guy hitting on women at the tail end of a kegger, he got shot down several times, which was embarrassing for the program. Osborne is going about it the right way, taking his time and making sure that the right decision is made.

I'm still not sold on Jim Grobe. Seems like a good coach, but I think people are too quick to talk themselves into him when they look at his ACC title last year. Let's be honest, the ACC with horrible Florida State and Miami teams isn't really that powerful of a conference. Plus, his loyalty to his assistants (which I actually do love) means that there won't be many, if any, spots on his staff those with Husker ties (which I don't really love). I'm not saying the whole staff has to have Big Red ties, but I think one or two is kind of a necessity.

Hiring a new coach is an inexact science. There are hits and misses, and we are coming off a miss of Biblical proportions, at least when it comes to the expectations of Nebraska fans. Which brings me to my next point: is the head coaching position at the University of Nebraska still an elite job? I've read multiple stories about this is an unwinnable situation with unrealistic fan expectations. And perhaps, to a point, they are right. The time of expecting national championships has come and gone. With the rise of Mizzou and KU, it's going to be tough just to win our division every year, let alone the conference title. But what pisses me off is, if this isn't an elite job, than what is? Tell me what schools with openings are elite jobs. Look at the top of the rankings right now. Would you say Missouri or West Virginia is an elite job? How about Florida State? If Bowden were to retire, would that be a desirable job, coming off 5 years of general suckiness? There are crappy jobs out there, but there are few programs with the history, facilities, and commitment to winning than Nebraska. So to all the media types who say we aren't a good job, you can feel free to pull your head out of your ass at any time.

As far as our search goes, I agree with what T.O. said during his press conference announcing the firing of Callahan: there's something to be said for competing. Do I expect to beat everyone? Of course not. But dammit, I do expect to compete and play every opponent, whether they are USC or Ball State, with a fire that honors our past. Getting blown out is not an option, even in today's college football where every giant can fall on Saturday. I still think the Nebraska job is an elite one, albeit slightly diminished over the past 5 years. We still have the best facilities in the nation. We still have one of the most passionate fan bases in the country. With the right coach, a resurgence is not going to be impossible to pull off. And if you do, you will be rewarded for the duration of your stay on this planet. Just look at Osborne, who is a pigskin toss away from deity status to Nebraska fans.

Let's hope that within the next couple of days, we'll have the next one.

1 comment:

Skull and Bones said...

At least we have something to talk about since we're not going to a bowl game.