Monday, November 5, 2007

What more can be said?


Wow. And we thought USC or Ball State was bad. At this point, what is really left that can be said? We've bitched and moaned for weeks now, only to see the team somehow perform even worse (which none of us thought was possible). I've never seen so many players routinely out of position at any level of football in my life, and quite frankly, I've grown tired of trying to dissect what is wrong with this team. I'm glad that I didn't have time on Friday to get a prediction in, because who honestly would have predicted us giving up 76 points? 45 or 50, I'd understand, I figure that's a given with the defense we have right now, but really? 76? That was one of the most embarrassing games I have ever witnessed. I was still getting calls and text messages at 11:30 at night, wondering what the hell was going on with our program.

I think T.O. is a man of his word and will let Callahan finish out the season. But if I were on this staff, I'd start putting out my resume right now, because while the writing was on the wall a couple weeks ago, it is now highlighted and underlined: unless the new HC wants you, you will be replaced.

A few quick thoughts before we move on and never speak of this game again:

-It's not like the offense played poorly. Ganz had some picks, but he was in a tough spot trying to keep up with an onslaught of Biblical proportions. Even if KU did have 3rd stringers in at the end, we still put up 39. Put up 31 against the starters, which is more than enough to win a game if you have a defense that doesn't completely blow. Unfortunately, ours does.

- How many times can one defense fall for the same play? I saw KU send the slot guy into the flats, with the outside WR come right back in with a slant about 50 times, and every damn time the slant was open. Why? Because every time, we'd chase the out route, and Reesing would hit the slant. There were seriously a couple times I thought I was just watching an instant replay, but instead it was an actual live touchdown. And you know what fixes this simple mistake? Good coaching. Hell, not even good coaching, just somebody who knows what the hell they are doing would know how to stop it.

-What the hell happened to our kickoff coverage? It seemed like every time KU was returning the ball to midfield.

- I never thought I'd say this, but I'm glad that the Husker football season is almost over. Usually, I dread the end of it because with it comes the long, agonizing wait for next season. At this point, however, I can't watch many more of these massacres and retain what is left of my sanity. Thank God the Gophers and the Big 10 suck too, otherwise I'd really be miserable.

-The only real competition I can look forward to on Saturdays is no longer Husker games, it's seeing how many beers I can drink to make me oblivious to the outcomes of those games.

- Good thing I didn't go down to Lawrence and use the tickets I had bought for the game. That would not have been a fun trip.

- I would say that the Huskers should play for pride now, but I get the feeling they were playing for that a while ago and realized they didn't have any left.

Congratulations to Kansas. We might be atrocious, but that doesn't take away from the fact that that is a hell of a Jayhawk team. They are now FOURTH in the BCS, ahead of Oklahoma. Should be interesting the rest of the way, with the battle against Mizzou for the right to face OU in San Antonio. Good luck the rest of the way.

One question that has been bothering me: how does the nosedive that we are witnessing affect next season? If your the incoming coach, how do you convince your players, particularly the defense, that they don't suck? How do you revive their self-confidence for next year? Whoever we bring in has the daunting task of repairing a downtrodden team and a demoralized fan base.

And as one last note, I seriously think we will start seeing some Huskers on the police blotter the next month or so. When your team plays this horribly and falls so short of expectations, often times players will offset it by drinking more on the weekends to get away from the stress of it all, and that can lead to some bad decisions. Believe me, I've seen it on teams I've played on. Let's hope that they can just hold it together the next three weeks so we can turn the page and finish the darkest chapter in the history of Husker football.

No comments: