Friday, May 30, 2008

Indy recap & other thoughts

So I know I promised that I'd try to take some pictures at Indy to give you guys an idea of what goes on there, but I didn't take a single photo the entire weekend. Not that it mattered, there wasn't much that would have stood out anyways, we were all too intoxicated to really walk around, and despite the large crowd on Sunday, it was somewhat quiet on the streets the night before. There were a few highlights though. My brother's friend tagged along for the trip, and in a drunken state, tried to hit on a fine-looking girl Saturday night, which led to this exchange:

Ben: "Hey, how's it going?"

Girl: "No!"

You know your prospects aren't good when a girl doesn't even let you make a pitch before shooting you down. How do you come back on that? "Wait, you haven't even heard my line yet, it's a good one!" Ben responded by just walking away dumbfounded, which made it even more classic.

As I predicted, Danica didn't win. And I don't think she ever will there, despite being on one of the best teams in the sport. What made it even funnier is that ALL THREE women in the race wrecked. But I wasn't surprised, that happens pretty much every year.

Some other thoughts:

-Sam Keller in the Arena League? Did these guys watch any of our games last year? The last thing you want in that game is a QB who stands in the pocket for 15 seconds, waiting for someone to get open when he should have thrown it after three steps....I just remember him getting hit as he threw nearly every time last year, and unfortunately for him, in the AFL, there's not going to be a tailback to check down to after every other option is closed off. He's going to get hit. A lot. What makes it almost comical is that on the article (like every other article ever written about him in the post-ASU era) is that it brings up his big game against LSU and his Sun Bowl MVP game against Purdue. At what point do people realize that those games were aberrations, not something you should count on? Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for his effort at NU, and I wish him nothing but the best of luck, but let's face it, he's not a great QB, particularly for a league that is predicated on getting rid of the ball in less than 2 seconds.

-Typical Minnesota: We get one perfectly sunny day (yesterday, on Sunday), followed by a week with rain forecast for every f***ing day. I know it gets old, me bitching about it, but seriously, I'll ask again: Why does anyone live here?

-Lakers vs. Celtics is going to be the first Finals that I will watch in it's entirety since.....well, probably the mid-90's.....I say Lakers in 6, though I'm hoping that I'm wrong, since I'm hoping for KG to get a ring. I will admit though, it is fascinating to watch Kobe Bryant now. He's playing near a level that Jordan was back in the early-to-mid 90's. I know that's borderline sacrilegious to say, given Jordan's stature in the game, but Kobe does what he wants, when he wants, just like MJ used to do. He can bring his team back from 20 point deficits by himself, or do it by dropping 10 or 12 assists if he needs to. He makes his teammates better, but at the same time knows instinctively when he needs to just put them on his back and carry them. He's a lot of fun to watch, and on the plus side, he somehow seems more likable now that he dropped that perfect McDonald's posterboy image that he used to have. I don't know how that makes sense, but it seems the more real and asshole-ish he is, the easier it is to admire his skill as a player. He used to be kind of fake in his early days, and now he's just being himself it seems. And he, and the Lakers, are better off because of it.

Let me make it clear: I'm not saying Kobe is as good as MJ. I'm saying that there are spurts where he plays like him.

-Fall camp can't get here soon enough. I need college football back, and soon.

No comments: