Friday, May 16, 2008

Potpourri

Well, now that we've settled into the dead period between spring ball and fall camp (also known as "pray there are no arrests or freak TV moving injuries" time), it's gotten pretty quiet around the Husker blogosphere. For those of you desperate for continued Husker coverage, I suggest clicking on the other blog links to the right, as you'll find that unlike me, many other Husker blogs continue to crank out quality stuff. DXP continues to impress with it's statistical analysis, as well as their new project of naming the best Huskers in history for every uniform number. I would have love to have done that, but unfortunately, my memory only goes back about 14 years, so with the exception of the role players of the early-to-mid 90's and the obvious stars, I don't think my list would have been nearly as good as theirs.

A few things I wanted to weigh in on:

-The whole Eight Belles Kentucky Derby saga. Look, I don't deny that it's unfortunate. It's too bad to lose such a beautiful animal, and I have no doubt that the trainer cared about it much like I do my dog. But as for the whole outcry from PETA and others? Hey, it's a f**king horse, OK? Can we please try to remind ourselves of that? There are 100,000 people likely dead in Myanmar, there are probably 50,000 more in China because of the recent earthquake, and these people are bitching because a horse broke it's ankles and had to get sent to the glue factory? There are bigger issues going on in the world right now, how 'bout we focus on that? The same sh*t happened with Barbaro a couple of years ago, and we had to sit there and watch while Sportscenter devoted hours of coverage to the doomed horse's attempted recovery, before it finally succumbed and had to be put down, all while there were more relevant and real sports that could have been talked about. Surely I can't be the only one who thinks that PETA needs to stop bitching and moaning about it, right?

- Spygate is over, OK? They cheated, they got caught, fined, and embarrassed. Despite the scrutiny, they nearly had a perfect season, which would have been great, because then we never would have to hear about the '72 Dolphins every time someone started the season 5-0 again. Either way, to hear Specter call for an independent investigation is ridiculous. The guy needs to find some real problems he could work towards solving. As Ted Kennedy (someone I loathe usually) said to the Boston Globe :

"With the war in Iraq raging on, gasoline prices closing in on $4 a gallon, and Americans losing their homes at record rates to foreclosure, the United States Senate should be focusing on the real problems that Americans are struggling with."

Damn straight. I'm so sick of hearing about this, it even surpasses the Eight Belles thing. I'm tired of watching NFL Live devote an entire half-hour every day to Matt Walsh (who is really just an attention whore, if you ask me) and Spygate when they could be talking about position battles and personnel decisions throughout the league. You know, football stuff. Let's just let this thing die so we can stop talking about it for the first time in 9 months.

-If you like the Spurs, you apparently support soccer on hardwood. Every time I see these d-bags flop whenever someone breathes on them, it sickens me to think that these guys are so respected by the public as a team who "plays the right way". Really? Tim Duncan whines more than my 6 year-old cousin, and if I have to see that bug-eye look with his arms up in frustration every time he thinks he's fouled (which apparently every time someone someone comes within 5 feet), I'm going to vomit. I really, REALLY hate the Spurs. If I played for the Hornets, I'd lower my shoulder and give them a real reason to fall down. If they are going to fake it every time, why not make it real and earn my foul?
-----One more note about this series: If you haven't watched Chris Paul this postseason, you are missing out. Best point guard I've ever watched. I'm serious when I say that I think I could average 10 points a game in the NBA if I played with him. He's that damn good.

-Can NOBODY in the state of Minnesota drive? I can't adequately describe how irritating it is when people tailgate and then blow by me when I'm already going 10 miles over the speed limit. What makes it even more hilarious is when they slingshot around me, cutting me off to gain ONE F**KING CAR SPACE on me. Really, what did that save you on your commute, 4 seconds? At what point do these assholes realize that even if you drive like a complete douchebag, you're probably only going to get to work approximately 2 minutes before I do?

-Not surprised at all by the O.J. Mayo situation. Hell, if there was a way I could have wagered on him taking money before the college basketball season started, I would have.

Back nest week with some more Potpourri, as well as preview of the Indy 500, which I go to every year.

No comments: