Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Big Red Roundtable: Post Spring Game Reflections

For those of you who are familiar with the Husker blogosphere, you know that there are a few of us (Big Red Network, Double Extra Point, Corn Nation, Hi-Plains drifter, Husker Mike, etc.) who take part in roundtable discussions about various stuff. For the first time, I was invited to take part in this. Let me say that it's an honor to be included. Here is my installment, make sure you check everybody else's responses to see what they had to say.



1. Keller or Ganz. Pick one, then give three reasons.

Keller. The three reasons:
1) Better arm

2) More game experience

3) No hesitation to stand up to bad female drivers who take his parking spot


2. The most impressive guy at the Spring Game.

After watching the first half of the game, my opinion that the most impressive guy was Todd Petersen, who had over a hundred yards recieving and looked good running after the catch. This in no way means that we'll be seeing a lot of him this fall considering the collection of talent we have at the reciever position, but he played well in the spring game. My other nominee for mose impressive was Suh at d-tackle. He's an absolute beast, and I look forward to Musberger and the other retards who announce our games butchering his name this fall.

3. If you were the Athletic Director, what would you do with the
proceeds?

While I especially like Double Extra Point's suggestion of throwing a party to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of our '97 title team, I say give half to the memorial for the families of the Va Tech victims, the other half to the West Virginia University police force to protect the populace from Pacman Jones, who will be training there and will have way too much time on his hands. The co-eds who strip to pay tuition are salivating.

4. Do 54,000 people show up at Nebraska's Spring Game because there is
really nothing else to do in Nebraska OR because we're more in love
with our Huskers than anyone else is with their team.

Obviously there is nothing to do in Nebraska, but I still say it's the latter. We travel better than any fanbase in the country, and I think that's a good indicator of our passion for the Huskers. I know Alabama's turnout was impressive, but that had two things going for it: a completely psychotic fanbase who didn't have a NASCAR race to watch till the next day, and Nick Saban making his first spring game appearance. It'll be fun to see what happens when he leaves after three years and they have to do it all over again.

5. When you heard or saw Marlon Lucky was injured, your first thought
was?

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME! (followed by me slamming the rest of my beer to ease the pain of losing our best back for a whole season)

6. Were you at all concerned by the fairly modest rushing performance
overall by the Red team or is that a sign there's some depth on the
defensive front seven?

I wasn't overly concerned. I don't think there is a ton of depth on our d-line, but I think the unit is coming along a lot faster than people had anticipated and that it will perform well this fall. While we weren't rolling up West Virginia-type numbers in the running game, Marlon still had 94 yards on 16 carries, and Glenn was absolutely punishing people, even if his stats didn't show it.

7. Callahan called the receiving corps the strength of the team.
Would you tend to agree with that or would you choose another aspect
(e.g. linebackers)

If I had to choose between the recievers or LB's, I'd have to pick the former just because of the amount of depth we have. I think our starting backers (along with Dillard and Covey) are going to be great, but the younger guys at linebacker dont have the same explosive potential as their counterparts at wideout (guys like Henry and Holt).

I think that one position group that has a lot of depth that people arent talking about is the QBs. Obviously we've beaten Keller vs. Ganz to death, but look at the situation we have here. Two guys who are both starter material, with wonderkid Patrick Witt breathing down their neck and JUCO All-American Zac Lee joining the fray in the fall. We have some quality depth there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes undoubtedly, in some moments I can reveal that I agree with you, but you may be in the light of other options.
to the article there is stationary a without question as you did in the fall publication of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=samoa joe myspace layouts ?
I noticed the catch-phrase you have in the offing not used. Or you partake of the black methods of promotion of the resource. I take a week and do necheg