Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A Somber Hot Routes

At times like this, words seem so hallow, so pointless. Yesterday's tragic events at Virginia Tech have been well covered by all forms of media, so I'm not going to go into the specifics of the shootings. When something as shocking and horrifying as this occurs, the search for answers is ultimately pointless. I've always thought the search for answers is focused on too much, that instead of immediately asking questions, we should pause and remember the victims. 33 people who went to class yesterday never made it back to their dorm rooms. 33 families received a phone call that no parent should ever have to get. Already, debates are springing up about gun control laws, the influence of an increasingly violent society on it's youth, and other issues. The time spent engaged in these stupid arguments that solve nothing is time better spent praying for the victim's families and the Virginia Tech community. May the Lord be with them in this time of great loss and sorrow.

A little article over by the OWH on freshmen QB Patrick Witt. I was watching the spring game, and while he didnt have a great stat line (in his defense, he was playing against the blackshirts), but he threw some very nice balls and seemed to have a good grasp of the offense already. This kid and Zac Lee will be giving Ganz a great competition for the starting job next year.

Steve Spurrier decided to make a little bit of a political statement by saying that the Confederate flag had no place at the South Carolina state house. This doesnt have much to do with football, but I'm glad to see that the Ol' Ballcoach is flapping his gums about something worthwhile for a change. Good for Spurrier, and good for the state. While I respect the pride that the South takes in those who lost their lives in the Civil War, it has to be recognized as a war that was fought in large part (not entirely, but in large part) to preserve the bonds of slavery. I'm a history major, so I could write about this at length. I'm not going to do that, but I thought the article was an interesting little blurb worth mentioning.

Tim Tebow opens his campaign as Florida's full-time starter with a great spring game. Much like their National Title game counterpart OSU, I think that Florida will be hard pressed to repeat last year's success after losing 15 starters. Obviously they have a stable full of playmakers down there ready to step in, but that's going to be a tough go in the rugged SEC.

If you have some spare time, I suggest you shoot over to Double Extra Point to see a nice statistical breakdown of the Blackshirts. I agree with the thought that our defense will be improved this year, and I could see us holding teams under the 300 yds/game threshold, with the exception of UT and USC, who hopefully we'll hold to 400 or less.

I failed to mention anything about the Kansas spring game in the Monday Morning Linebacker yesterday, but I thought the good game from Marcus Henry warranted mentioning. Even if it is against backup defensive backs, six catches for 150 and 3 TDs is good no matter what. That said, it won't matter if they don't get good quarterback play, which is an issue that, like the Huskers' situation, will be worked out in the fall. Currently Kerry Meier and Todd Reesing are locked in a competition for the starting job.

Before I sign off on today's hot routes, I wanted to ask anyone who reads this and has knowledge of Lincoln what they think are the best Husker bars in town. I'm planning on attending the USC game and possibly the Texas A&M game this year, and last time I came to Lincoln I wasn't 21 yet. So if you have any thoughts, feel free to let me know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really can't go wrong with visiting 'O' street. Several bars of different tastes all within a short walk from campus. Football friendly ones include Sandy's, Main Street, Woody's, Brother's, Iguana's and Barry's - which is a Husker football tradition (Barry's is technically in the Haymarket District but a short walk from O street/Stadium)

I don't have tickets to the USC game but I will certainly be in Lincoln that weekend and probably at the bars to watch the game. The plan is to go to Iguana's because apparently they give out free shots for every Husker score.

Anonymous said...

In all honesty nearly every bar you go to on gameday will be a Husker bar. The sadium is basically in down town and there are A LOT of bars within walking distance. Iguana's is fun, and also The Bar. Just check out "O" street and go from there... you'll have a bunch of options and almost all the people will be really chill so you can just ask about other places to check out.

The atmosphere for the USC game is going to be like nothing else. I'm already exited for it. I can't wait.