Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Hot Routes


Let me get one thing out in the open right now: I love football terminology. During my playing days, there were few things I enjoyed more than the meetings we had that were basically chalk talk sessions where we would go over different formations, blitz packages, and cover schemes. Its fun knowing that I can talk about football stuff and make it sound like a different language all together. The reason I am telling you this? Because for my Tuesday installments, I was originally going to call it the "Monday Morning Linebacker: Tuesday Edition", but then I realized not only was that moniker way too long, it sucked as well. So from here on out, my Tuesday writing will be called "Hot Routes". Now obviously, everyone who has watched any amount of football knows what a hot route is. And that's why I picked it for my Tuesday installments to this blog: much like a QB's changes at the LOS (line of scrimmage) it's going to be quick and easy, and determined by what I see happening elsewhere in the world of Husker journalism, and to a lesser extent, college football as a whole.

First off in this edition of hot routes, Marlon Lucky is apparently having more fun this spring in preparation for the upcoming season. Everyone, even those who aren't Husker fans, know all about (and by all about, I mean nothing in the way of details) Marlon's hospitalization in February for unspecified reasons. Anti-Husker people were quick to come out with theories and explanations for the visit to the emergency room and his stay in intensive care, but both the program and the family (smartly) decided to stay mum on the issue, which I totally agree with. What happened is his business, not ours or the media's to pick apart. And its ESPECIALLY not something to be taken lightly or made fun of, particularly if you have no idea what the reason for the visit is. I'm talking to you, classless K-State jackasses. All this aside, I'm glad that Lucky is finally letting his guard down a bit and enjoying the game. He has been something of an enigma during his time here, never talking much and seeming a bit stand-offish. Which is fine, nobody ever said everybody has to be gregarious and outgoing. But I've always worried that he wasn't happy here, like he thought he made a mistake in coming here, especially after B-Jax came in and took over the starting job permanently halfway through last season. As the article points out, he's been under a lot of pressure since signing here in 2005, as he was the big-name recruit of that much-ballyhooed class. No matter what he does on the field this fall, here's to hoping he's happy with his Husker experience. And for the selfish part of me, to hoping he gets 1700 total yards and 20 total TD's.

In a Steve Sipple article in the LJS, Lydon Murtha is apparently ready to live up to the monstrous expectations that he has had to deal with since his arrival on campus. Considered the premier tackle in the nation coming out of Hutchinson with teammate Nate Swift, he has thus far been unimpressive for the Huskers. And when I say this, I dont mean he has been a bad player or anything like that. I am implying that he hasn't done what many thought he would, which is establish himself as a bona-fide stud on the O-line and become a bookend tackle. The first thing people think when they look at him is that he's a prototype offensive tackle. At 6'7" and 300+ pounds, everybody automatically assumed that he'd step in for the Huskers early and contribute, and become a force in his latter years in the program. And while he has provided depth for our line, he hasn't realized the potential we all thought he possessed when he first came here. As Callahan points out in the article, Murtha is already showing signs of being a great player, particularly when it comes to stopping speed rushers off the edge. This is what tackles are supposed to do, especially guys who might end up protecting the QB's blindside some day. So let's hope his progression continues.

Over on ESPN.com, the most over-saturated and anti-Husker establishment around, there is an interesting article on Dan Lefevour, a quarterback for Central Michigan. Usually I tend to lean towards reading stuff on guys from conferences whose name doesn't sound like something from a McDonalds menu, in this case the MAC. However, I think it's important to keep updated on the smaller stories of college football, and it appears that this kid has some legitimate talent. He tore it up as a redshirt freshmen last year, and despite the loss of his coach to a more high-profile school (Cincinnati? This barely qualifies as a better job. When was the last time they were relevant? The Geno Guidugli era?), he appears poised to keep it going. I don't really care about the MAC, and I don't plan on watching his games on ESPNU (Why? Because nobody has this channel. Thanks, Comcast!), but this kid looks like one who busts his ass to be productive, and that's something I value in this era of seemingly instant gratification.

In pro football news, NFL commish Roger Goodell announced today that Pacman Jones has been suspended for the entire upcoming season, with Will Henry of the Bengals having to sit out half the year for their respective off-the-field issues. I'm sure all of you have already heard about this, and every sportswriter and pundit is going to wiegh in with their thoughts. All I have to say: Bravo, Mr. Goodell. Pacman's talent is surpassed only by his stupidity and immaturity, and I applaud this move. Hopefully one year is enough time for this guy to realize that maybe he should weed out some of the bigger idiots in his posse. People say time and time again "Oh, he is just associating with the wrong people right now." Well if that's the case, DON'T HANG OUT WITH THEM ANYMORE! Why jeopardize this amazing opportunity to get payed to play the game? Hopefully the next year involves some soul searching and reflection and less weed and arrests.

Also, I was thrilled that an Iowan, a guy named Zach Johnson, won the Masters. Everybody always wants a Tiger-Lefty showdown, and I found it refreshing that a young talented guy came from off the radar and grabbed golf's most prestigous prize. That and the fact that I always root for the guys from my home state.

Just a few days till the spring game!

No comments: