Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Just a few quick thoughts......

I for one am thrilled that the spring game is going to be carried by the NFL Network. I realize that a lot of people don't have the channel, but this makes that extra couple bucks I spend on the cable bill worth it. What really pisses me off though is that they are taping it and then showing it at 8:00 on Saturday night. Really? 8:00? Why the hell can't they show it live? Do they have NFL Follies on? A replay of a NFC divisional playoff game? I dont know whether to be more angry or dumbfounded. Don't they realize that some people might have things to do at 8 on a Saturday night? Right now I'm in the process of finding someone with a DVR so I can watch the entire game and keep a running diary of the events to put on here. I'll keep you posted on those developments.

What makes me even more incensed is that the resident assholes over at ESPN put on Oklahoma's game, live and in primetime last Saturday. What storylines do they have? Finding someone to replace Adrian Peterson and a QB battle? Why is that game so enticing and worthy of coverage but the Huskers' isnt? We have a high-profile transfer locked in a battle for the starting QB job, a battle that nobody expected to develop (even if it might just be smoke and mirrors from Callahan). We have a defense that is trying to replace the entire starting D-line, the members of which will all get drafted in a few short weeks. What I'm getting at is that it is beyond me why the NU game isn't televised on a broader scope. You know what ESPN is showing at noon on Saturday? Women's billiards. On ESPN2? Something called the Family Circle Cup. I don't even know what the hell that is!

Look, I'm not the head of ESPN programming. There might be a lot of factors that go into who gets to cover which spring games depending on time frames and previous contracts to pro billiards leagues and all kinds of other extenuating circumstances. All I know is that for once, I'd really like to be able to watch my favorite team in action without some kind of hassle.

In other news, the Husker's most recent spring practice was visited by the offensive staff of our Cotton Bowl counterparts, the Auburn Tigers. I'd have more to say but the details are pretty limited at this point, although I do know that our defensive staff went down there during there during their spring practices. Staffs visiting other schools is a pretty common thing this time of year. Just a couple of weeks ago, Dan Hawkins and his son, Buffs QB Cody, went down to Florida to meet with Urban Meyer and the Gators coaching crew. Coming off an abysmal 2-10 season, topics that were most likely discussed were things like: How not to suck. Yea, thats about it.

Also, in a little spring game news, according to Rivals.com (I can't link it because it's for subscribers to their site), Callahan will not be calling plays. That will be handled by Watson and Gilmore, with Callahan observing from the booth as well as taking part in NFL Network's aforementioned telecast. Should be interesting.

Quick hits:

-Keller and Ganz will be on the Red team while Witt and Davis suit up with the White side.

-Asante and Green will be on the Red squad, while Thenarse and Eisenhart will be on the white. I am genuinely excited to see how the secondary plays, even if it is just a spring game.

If you want to see some vintage Husker footage, head over to Double Extra Point for some great stuff featuring Turner Gill, Irving Fryar, and Mike Rozier. Fun stuff.

No comments: